Friday, December 14, 2012

TMI Thursday: The War on Christmas

This feature by Sean of Just a Jeep Guy was also completed by anne marie, CubbyJohn Thomas (a new addition to my blogroll) and I'm-not-sure-who else. 

Which religion or faith do you belong to?    I was baptized, christened and married in the Lutheran Church.  We even had all our three kids bapitized there too but I cannot imagine why!  I've only attended Sunday church service a couple dozen times my entire life and will never go again ... too many judgemental hypocrites!

What is your opinion on seasonal greetings?  I prefer "Merry Christmas." 

Holiday music on the radio?   I don't listen to music radio, ever, only news and documentaries on cbc.ca.   But during Christmas week, I play my only Christmas CD by Anne Murray.

What is your policy for exchanging gifts?    My most important Christmas presents are for my kids  and I always find them something they really want.  My oldest daughter loves to receive high-end cooking equipment or some cookbooks.  My ultra-organized middle daughter provides us all with her 'wish list,' mainly books.  My son only wants power tools, socket wrenches and the like.    

I usually give my parents a calendar of family photos, tickets for our community auditorium and "coupons" to a be exchanged dinner at my house with the grandkids several times a month.

DILEMMA:  I'm not sure if I should give my soon-to-be-ex wife a present.  I don't know if she's giving me one;  it's been a tumultuous year!  But last year, she gave me a laptop computer.  Maybe I'll ask the kids' opinions.

Gift cards/family update letters are...  I love receiving gift cards!  I use them at the after-Christmas sales and show the giver what I got.  I never receive family update letters

Christmas cards ... I send one Christmas card to my ex-mother-in-law filled with photos of the kids.  We love each other dearly and she remains hugely supportive of her gay ex-son-in-law. 

Snow is...
beautiful!  It means it's time for all my favourite sports:  snowboarding, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and outdoor skating.

Have you been a good little boy?  If  you mean "good" at giving pleasure to sexy 22-year-old men, I would say an unequivocal "yes."   I've been very good indeed.  ;-)

RAPID FIRE FAVORITES:
1. Food:
  Roast turkey, wild rice stuffing, mashed potatoes and my favourite vegetable dish from my ethnic group, lanttu laatikko(click here for the recipe written in English)
2. Dessert:
 
 Chocolate mousse, wild blueberry cheesecake, a molten chocolate cake with whipped cream... I love all desserts!    
3. Song:  The Huron Carol, a favourite of mine since childhood.     
4. Movie:  Miracle on 34th Street,mainly because of Dylan McDermott's blue eyes and the sexy cleft in his chin  
5. Tradition: Christmas dinner at my parents' house, which my wife has insisted the kids keep doing, even thought it means that she's alone every Christmas afternoon and evening
BONUS
Christmas sex: What have you done under the mistletoe? Have you caught daddy kissing Santa Clause? Have you done it a santa suit? Did you come down the chimney? Just how merry have you made Santa's helpers?
   Sadly, none of the above.  I must add these to my bucket list.











10 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog... I also have joined the TMI 'club', find my answers...
    http://jthomasmsw.blogspot.com/2012/12/tmi-thursday-war-on-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I've added you to my blogroll. I lived in Vancouver for a couple of years in my 20s and visited your area. Beautiful part of the world!

      Delete
  2. Anne Murray - you are Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Anne Murray Xmas album too... my mom listened to it for years (she also listened to the Boney M Xmas album which I hope I never hear again!).

    Sex under the Xmas tree is fun :)

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try Christmas tree sex one day...

      Anne Murry has had about seven Christmas albums in her career. I never tire of her voice.

      Delete
  4. My, but those gentlemen do have big balls! OK, I love veggies so lanttu laatikko intrigues me but the site as you obviously know, is only in Finnish. So, could I beg a bit of information about this dish from you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link for an English-language recipe for lantulaatikko. It's very similar to my grandmother's recipe, below, except we don't use nutmeg. The gentle caramelization of the turnip cubes is the most important step:

      1. Take some yellow Swede turnips or rutabagas, peeled, cut in 1" cubes and with the woody stem cut out. Do not use the white summer turnips.

      2. Barely cover with water in a pot, cover and simmer until they're almost soft.

      3. Add a tablespoon or more or brown sugar.

      4 Turn down the heat, remove the lid and gently boil until the liquid mainly disappears. Stir the cubes a bit so they carmelize and turn from yellow to medium brown (the MOST important step!)

      5. Mash or beat with a hand held blender as though you were making mashed potatoes, until perfectly smooth. The Finns add generous amounts of cream and butter at this stage; I don't!

      6. Beat in an egg, milk (I used canned milk), salt, pepper and more brown sugar if needed until your mixture tastes wonderful.

      7. Pour into a buttered casserole, sprinkle bread crumbs over the top and dot with butter. Bake at 350 until it is golden brown.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! Fritz harvested all the remaining rutabagas last weekend, so we have a lot of them in storage. I'll have to try this very soon.

      Delete
  5. I don't know when or where I first heard The Huron Carol - perhaps from you? - but I love it. I love their version too.
    Curiously these fellows were in town last Saturday ! I missed them - but they were not called the Canadian tenors, but 'the four tenors'. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes,I suggested The Huron Carol one year ago when you asked for readers' submissions of their favourite carols.

    They probably dropped the "Canadian" to broaden their international marketability.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you're thinking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...