|I did NOT take these pics! From: menwearingjeans501.tumblr.com|
I'm always pleasantly surprised that these straight men wear such tight jeans. Distracting! Especially when they're sitting in front of me with their thighs spread wide open! Sadly, all the sexy Dads brought their tubby, lumpy little wives along.
Ours is quite a small town and I fully expect that one day, a couple will arrive for a Parents' Night interview and the husband will turn out to be a guy who I've hooked up with. Awkward!!
A commenter on my last post was concerned that I was planning to host random hook-up guys in my home while my kids were home. (I won't be)
But coincidentally, this subject came up in class last week. One of my grade ten students is always very tired and invariably falls asleep with his head on his desk. I asked him during class: "Why are you so tired all the time? Are you up all night doing online computer games?" This is a very common problem amongst the young men in our classes.
He was indignant: "NO! My parents, they're divorced .... .right? And my mom's a lesbian... okay? I don't care that she's a lesbian.... great! But that's not the problem.
But she brings these women home.... but does she have to bring home a different one EVERY NIGHT?? Last night she brought some chick home from her hockey team and they were going at it all night long! THEY DIDN'T STOP FOR EIGHT HOURS!! I had my pillow over my head but I didn't sleep at all!!!
A few observations:
- He wasn't troubled in the slightest by the fact that his mother came out as gay.
- This whole exchange occurred with an entire class of 15 - 16 year olds listening in. There were no smirks or whispered conversations. No one else seemed to think it was a big deal. Ours is a fairly remote, blue-collar town but this speaks to the high degree of acceptance of LGBTQ people amongst the young people in Canada. It just isn't a big deal.
- As a newly-out gay guy leaving an unhappy marriage, I fully understand that this parent is wallowing in her slut phase and I sympathized with her situation. I'd be hooking up with many more guys if it wasn't for my hosting difficulties.
- As a teacher, it isn't my job to comment on a parent's sex life.... in fact, that would be highly awkward and unprofessional.
- But it is my job to ensure the student is successful as possible in his academic work.
So.... I by-passed the school administration and spoke directly to the school social worker; a fantastic woman who works tirelessly on behalf of our troubled students, LGBTQ and otherwise. She agreed that this was an academic problem and scheduled a meeting with the student.
I heard through the grapevine that the mom also was called into a meeting later in the week; I'm fairly sure that the student's problem in getting enough sleep will be resolved quickly.