Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tension

 These pictures are for Sean's Dogably Pawfect Saturday .  About 80% of the traffic to this blog comes from Sean's and for that, I am very grateful!  All pics are from menandtheirdogs.  

Yesterday, my wife and I met at our lawyer's office to finalize the sale of our home.  Given her past history of being oppositional, I fully expected her to throw up yet another road block and refuse to sign.   I was dreading the meeting all week.

It was EXTREMELY tense as my wife sat there grim-faced, on the edge of being emotionally distraught, giving one-word answers to the lawyer with the occasional jab at me.  The lawyer, a dear man in his 70s, attempted to thaw the ice with small talk while his staff tiptoed in and out, eyes averted.


It was difficult for everyone, as though some poison emanating from my wife was spreading throughout the room.   You could just taste her bitterness and anger.  But in the end, she signed. so we will be receiving several hundred thousand dollars on Monday.  Woo-hoo!!

In the past month, I've experienced a severe "cash flow" problem with my credit card maxed out and about ten dollars in my back account.   It will be nice to have some relief from that but I will still have to be extremely frugal for the next seven years as I alimony to my wife.  On the plus side, being broke makes it real easy to say, "NO!!!" to the Girl Guide cookie-pushers (and others) who come to the door.  I literally had no money to give them.

Since my wife didn't give the lawyer the deed to my our waterfront home in time (she's lost it!), we will have to all meet again on Wednesday when she is to sign over the deed to the property to me.   The lawyer also appealed to my wife to sign a waiver giving up all rights to the property.

Although the waterfront home will be in my name alone, as long as we are married it will be considered a "joint asset" as long as we are still married.   He said, "You have to agree to sign the waiver and let _____ have the house.  It's the only way you can all move forward."   She nodded but didn't say anything.

Another step forward.

In the meantime, it is very early Saturday morning and in a few hours, my three kids, parents and I will complete the move.   I've been working steadily towards this since last August and the "move out" day is nearly here...  exciting!!!

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures, #2 especially! Good luck with the move, it's wonderful your family are there to help. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep being nice to her and don't do anything to rock the boat. I worry about you Buddy (since you won't worry about yourself, I worry enough for both of us) and I'm glad you're finally reaching a successful end to this madness.

    Now how about the marriage? Do you see an endpoint for that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What drama; no fun in this; hang in there; keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support, everyone! Yes, we've run into each other a few times since our lawyer's office meeting (delivering still more stuff to her house.) It was quite cordial.

    We both want our divorce to be finalized ASAP. Our meeting with a mediator has been rescheduled for May 28th. We've largely agreed on everything although (as you know), there is always an element of unpredictability to these things.

    Provincial legislation here requires that every couple go through mediation before they are even allowed to file for divorce.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you're thinking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...