Thursday, June 23, 2011

34 Questions Meme

http://dirty-speedo.tumblr.com/

I really enjoyed reading Cubby's responses to this meme on his blog, Patently Queer.  I can't imagine how anyone could possibly be interested in my personal details ... but what the heck, here it goes!   I only did half of this meme today so this post won't be too long. Part two continues here.



1. What colour are your socks?  I go barefoot as often as possible.  I bought a few dozen pairs each  of black socks and white socks at the Dollar Mart, so I never have to search for that stray sock.
 2. What are you listening to right now?  I only listen to CBC radio.
3. What was the last thing you ate? Oatmeal porridge with maple syrup and a piece of home-made rhubarb pie for breakfast.  Hey, I'm convalescing!
4. Can you drive a stick shift?   Yes, and I love it.  My current car has an automatic transmission.
5. Last person you spoke to on the phone?  Both my parents at the same time, discussing weekend plans.
6. Do you like the person who sent this to you?  Yes, Cubby is a great friend.  Very sweet, funny and honest.
7. How old are you today? I’m 45 years old.
8. What is your favorite sport to watch on TV? I never watch sports on TV mainly because I consider it a waste of time.  I'd rather be doing something active myself.  Also, we don't have a working TV in the house.  The only "must see" TV sports for me is watching the men's and women's hockey finals at the Olympics but only if the Canadians are in it.  They usually are!
9. What is your favorite drink? I drink very strong coffee made with dark roast espresso.  Also I enjoy a really good cup of black tea such as Darjeeling or Earl Grey.

I'll drink anything alcoholic but I do enjoy a good beer, but not American beer.  It seems so watered-down, we used to call it "fairy piss."  We meant "fairy" as in Tinkerbell, not the gay slur.   I enjoy drinking rye whiskey which I think is called "Canadian whiskey" in other countries.
10. Have you ever dyed your hair?  Never, but I have put in some blonde streaks several times,  when my wife or daughter had a home-streaking kit on the go. I really like the look of the streaks in my darker blonde hair. 
11. Favorite food?  Can't narrow it down as I love most food.  Indian, Thai, Mexican, Chinese .... I love it all.  I've tried very hard to enjoy eating kidneys, but to me, they are a good way to test your gag reflex.... and the same thing goes for tripe and overcooked beef liver. 
12. What is the last movie you watched?  Dirty Dancing on DVD.  Hadn't seen it in over twenty years and I still liked it.  It made my neck sore just watching the dancers flinging their heads about.
13. Favorite day of the year?  The day when we get our first major snowfall of the year, so I can start to do all of my winter sports.
http://dirty-speedo.tumblr.com/


14. How do you vent? With my work colleagues as we understand our job stresses.   I discuss things with my parents and sometimes with my children, although I really shouldn't burden them with my problems, especially those involving their mother.
15. What was your favorite toy as a child?  Tonka trucks
16. What is your favorite season?  I love all seasons, but winter is my favourite.  All of my favourite recreational activities involve snow.  I love the crisp air, white snow and the lack of mosquitoes in winter. 
17. Cherries or Blueberries? We are all 'blueberry snobs' as we only eat the beautiful wild blueberries we pick from the north woods rather than the flavourless farmed blueberries.

9 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog today. Great blog...
    Keep up your writing....
    I am married too, but have not come out or anything like that...have three kids...live on the east coast of the USA

    Glad you are in a better place...

    ~Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah! maple syrup....
    Sorry... gotta go... time for a snack! ;)
    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew that rye whiskey = Canadian whiskey. That's a cool fact to stick in my back pocket.

    Are porridge and oatmeal (with steel-cut oats) the same thing? I'm curious about that since I told my Dad they were the same a few weeks ago.

    You like beer, but not American beer. Name some please. Maybe if you're lucky the beer "fairy" will surprise you with some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael: Thanks for commenting! I visited your blog and found your story to be very honest and, at times, heart-wrenching.

    While it is important to ensure your family is looked after, please remember than you deserve some happiness in life as well. I tried leaving a few comments; do you have the "comments" settings disabled?

    DeepBlue: ahhh! Maple syrup is the quickest way to a true Quebecois' heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cubby: In Canada, the terms rye whiskey and Canadian whiskey are used interchangeably. In the mash used to make rye whiskey, corn is actually the main ingredient with rye grain used to provide flavour. Some "rye" whiskeys in fact, have very little rye in them.

    You can get oatmeal in two very different forms:
    Steel-cut oatmeal means the oats are 'cut' not 'rolled', so instead of flakes of oats you have tiny hard bits of oatmeal. I've never had them, but purists say they are the best.

    Rolled oats have been steamed and then rolled so that they flattened into flakes. I used rolled oats.

    In either case, "porridge" is the dish you get when you simmer 1 cup of oatmeal with 4 cups of water for about 20 - 30 minutes. I cook mine in the microwave on "low" and very much prefer using milk rather than water.

    Cubby, if you put anything alcoholic in front of me, I will drink it. I'm not fussy!! The canned American beers we used to get such as Miller and Coors were very pale, watery and lacking in flavour. The Canadian beers had more a robust flavour in the British tradition.

    I prefer the darker, highly-flavoured beers or ales. Guinness is one name, but there are countless more interesting varieties on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. It says so much about you. The more you write, the more I like you.

    Don't let any of us Yanks tell you different, American beer is god-awful. I prefer a Canadian beer any day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Krike - I haven't seen Dirty Dancing as yet - but it's got killer music in there! I just love 80's movies - speaking of which - did you see Super 8 as yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mack: Thank you! You're making me blush!

    SteveA: Dirty Dancing is well worth seeing. Parts of it are a bit corny but it's a sweet story. The dancing is sexy and the music is excellent. It is bittersweet to see the late Patrick Swayze looking so young and hot... all gyrating and thrusting hips.

    No, I haven't seen Super 8 but I plan to: I hear it's excellent! As a bonus, the heroes/heroines are the same age as I was in 1979, when the movie was set.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished reading your blog...I especially enjoyed reading the about me stuff...you and I have a lot in common....

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you're thinking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...