Thursday, December 5, 2013

TMI QUESTIONS: KISS THE COOK!

I look forward to Sean's Too Much Information questions which he writes each week for his blog  Just a Jeep Guy.

1. How good of a cook are you? I'm a F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S cook! Cooking and eating are one of the greatest pleasures in my life.

2. Who taught you how to cook? I cooked with my mother starting as a toddler right up until I left home at twenty-three.  She was a good cook but in a 60s-housewife kind of way.

At ten, I discovered our local public library and I'd sign out ten books each week; half novels and half cookbooks. My exploration of world cuisines began and we were finally able to leave the horror of Velveeta Cheese Lasagna behind forever.

My basic cooking knowledge came from my mother and grandmothers.  For the rest, I'm mainly self-taught but I now benefit from a large collection of cookbooks and many cooking DVDs.  And now, my daughter and I discuss all the exciting things she's learning in culinary school.

3. Who does the cooking in your home? For twenty years of my marriage, I did 100% of the cooking. My wife could cook but generally was too lazy and too exhausted / angry / stressed out to do anything around the house.  The old expression:  "No woman with a mean heart can cook well"  could have been written for her.  Also, my ex was just too A.D.D. to cook well;  everything was burned!

But I didn't mind... I love cooking and I still do most of the cooking.  My son likes to barbeque on the outdoor grill and my daughters will occasionally make a special meal. My eldest daughter cooks seven days a week at culinary school and at her restaurant job, so she never feels like cooking at home.

4. Do you cook more or eat out more? I rarely / never eat out except when I'm travelling. First of all, I can't afford it right now.

But the main reason is that I can usually can produce food at home which is far healthier, cheaper and better-tasting than what's available at most of our local restaurants.

But when I visit Toronto, the world's most ethnically diverse city, I LOVE sampling as much exotic food as possible from hole-in-the-wall eateries in the many ethnic neighbourhoods.

5. Are you more of a cook or dessert maker? I love baking and making desserts but rarely do except for a special occasion.  I can't eat that much dessert for fear of losing my girlish figure!  But my true love is cooking where I can slap things together without all that precise measuring.

6. What was your worst/funniest cooking moment?  On our honeymoon, camping and canoeing on an extremely remote wilderness lake, my wife and I were cooking chili over a tipsy alcohol burner.  A sudden, fierce storm tore our tent up from it's pegs and it landed atop the burner and burst into flames.

My new wife, in panic, dumped the pot of chili onto the tent in an attempt to douse the flames.  She then tore off her t-shirt and bra and started beating the fire with them, big boobs a-flapping! 

I then grabbed the tent and hurled it into the lake.  What a soggy, charred, chili-stained mess!  We laughed until we were so exhausted that we couldn't laugh any more.  Fond memories!

7. What's your best dish?   I have so many favourites, it's impossible to pick!  In various categories:

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:  To make my ultimate comfort food, I use basic supermarket cheddar or mozzarella but add one or several of the following:  fried onions or mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, pesto, artichokes or slices of apple or pear.  Or, my greatest guilty pleasure:  grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

Soup:  I love all soups and eat them all winter long.  But my favourite since childhood is authentic Scotch broth made with lamb, barley and root veggies.

Pizza: I bake home-made pizza three or more times per week,  sometimess for my son's breakfast.  It's pretty darned good! (he says modestly.)  I plan to go on a pizza-tasting trip to Italy one day to find out how the masters do it.... as well as to check out the hot Italian men.

Ethnic: I can cook some pretty mean Indian dishes which I posted about here, which are the result of many cooking lessons from a dear neighbour and colleague from Bangladesh.

My Grandmothers' Dishes:   I love cooking and eating these dishes both for the taste and the fact that they remind me of my grandmothers and the love they expressed by cooking them.

They immigrated from Finland in the 1920s so all of our recipes are frozen in time and are not altered by modern innovations such as exotic spices or imported ingredients.  Some of these dishes include pullaKarjalan piirakka, lanttulaatikko, Finnish rice pudding with fruit soup and Karjalan paisti.


8. Is revenge a dish best served cold?   No. Remaining bitter about some grievance is like an acid which corrodes the vessel it's in. I do not dwell on slights.... just move on!  Let shit go!

9. Is the best way to a man's heart truly through his stomach?  Maybe, but only in combination with many other factors.  But it's very important for me to cook special things for my family as a way of showing my love.

I would do the same for my special man but would also show my love to him in every other way possible, particularly in the bedroom.  And I would expect him to treat me in a way that made me feel special too.

BONUS:  Have you made whoopee in the kitchen? Which foods have you used to spice up your love life?
 I have never made whoopee in my kitchen but am willing to try anything once. As well, I've never used food as a love-making accessory, but some whipped cream and chocolate sauce smeared on a hard cock would make a blowjob extra special.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd kiss the cook any time, especially if it was you, but then I'd really get down to culinary delight and kiss the cock as well -- and proceed from there!

    I am self taught. My mother came from an English family who immigrated in 1910. At that time English food was among the worst and least healthy in the world (one of my grandmother's cookbooks included many recipes that began, "Take three leaves of lard and . . . "). My mother would take some harmless cut of beef that had a future and boil it until it was gray and thoroughly waterlogged, then put it on a platter, sitting in water with fat bubbles in it and surround the platter with mustards and chutneys and sauce bottles so we could disguise what she'd done to it. Once I got away to college I started exploring ethnic cuisine (I love making tagines and paella) and now bake all our bread. Fritz is also a good cook, so we have fun times together in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved hearing about your food history .... especially your mother's tiuch with beef! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. When I was a kid, Both parents cooked. For various reasons kids 1,3 and 5 learned to cook and 2 and 4 didn't. (I'm 2) I would occasionally cook certain things at home, but the ex did most of the cooking. When I tried to help, it was kind of pushed aside. Now of course I'm learning to cook. My lasagna I'm told is good and I learned to make gravy (kindergarten to most, but thrilling to me) I still want to tackle a Lemon Meringue pie soon. I find myself watching and reading cooking things with interest. I especially like those that give the why behind doing things. Like the cold butter when doing a pie crust. But what I really like is when I have someone over and we cook together. I enjoy that so much. Last year, a friend and I threw a dinner party without a clue what we would make. It came out fantastic but we couldn't remember how we did it. Did something similiar on Thanksgiving. Went untraditional with a Roast Beef and just started building the spices. A lot of fun and tasted good with leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. skier, I am sorry you've walked away from your blog but happy at least to hear from you in the comments to Buddy's blog. I always liked how you wrote.

      Delete
    2. Hey skier! I'm glad you're getting into cooking. What fun!

      I too would love to cook with my future special man.

      Delete
  3. If you really want to learn about pizza from the masters, you need to go to NY. Pizza is an American dish and they don't make anything like it in Italy. Where's the pic of you in just an apron???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to tasting the New York pizzas one day... it's on my "to do" list for sure.

      But pizza is an American dish? Sounds like American propaganda to me! lol.

      Pizza-like dishes existed in ancient Rome but the modern pizza was invented in Naples long before an Italian brought it to NY.

      Yes, I really get back into taking self-pics to post. Soon!

      Delete
  4. "grilled peanut butter-n-banana sammiches": just like elvis!

    #6 - OMB! too funny!

    "girlish figure" - tee hee! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mmHg know that Elvis liked them too. Cool!

      Delete
  5. whipped cream makes for a fun game 'Gingerbread Man' but is rawther sticky alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, messy! Probably best done in the other guy's bed. :-)

      Delete
  6. I really liked your answers, BB. I identify a lot with them. I love to cook, sometimes easy (think Velveeta Lasagna), sometimes lots more involved. Tonight was simple: Cheese ravioli with broccoli and mushrooms in (jarred) alfredo sauce.

    I think we'd make a great team in the kitchen. And the more serious answers, I know exactly what you mean.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am a great believer in cooking short cuts. I have many DVDs of Rachel Ray's "Thirty Minute Meals" from which I learned much about quick cooking.

      But Velveeta cheese is a nasty-tasting artificially-produced substance... bleh! There are so many better choices.

      Delete

Please tell me what you're thinking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...